I’ve been sewing a lot of skirts in May! I’ll introduce you to the others in due course. For now here is the May #sewmystyle project, a Pocket Skirt from the Cali Faye collection.
I chose an elephant print on indigo dyed chambray from Fabrics Galore, which I bought at a recent show in Harrogate (along with a few others of course!).
The fabric is very soft and fine so I decided to add a lining, using fabric from a block printed sari that I bought during a month-long visit to Bangladesh in 1998 and have worn only twice. The border print seemed to work well and enabled me to add a little length as well as warmth.
I cut a size large, which felt strange but is about right (I’m usually small to medium!) although I’ll probably take a little elastic out of the back waistband as it’s looser than it needs to be.
The instructions were a little confusing so I worked out my own methods for some parts of the construction. Each independent designer has – inevitably – a slightly different style of writing and I struggled with this more than most others I’ve tried.
I cut the lining to the same width as the outer but about 6cm longer. It isn’t hemmed as the print comes into the selvedge, which is straight enough to leave alone. The main skirt hem is overlocked and turned once (my favourite method at the moment). I gathered the skirt and lining separately, using a cording foot and zigzag stitching over topstitching thread. This worked better than most of the other methods that I’ve tried. Both were then stitched to the outer waistband.
Rather than turning the lower waistband lining edge I overlocked it and stitched it over the top edges of the skirt and lining, through the seam. It reduced the bulk and saved time too.
Despite some challenges with the making of it, I’m really happy with this skirt. The pockets are wonderfully large and it’s light, airy and a little twirly too.
If you’ve made one, do please leave a link in the comments.