I’ve been working on some more mandala designs and thought that a Yorkshire Rose would work well as a centre motif. Here’s the motif tutorial, and some ideas for mandalas that you could make with it, though it could be made into a brooch, sewn onto bunting, and much more besides.
Here I’ve used a 4mm hook with Wendy Supreme Cotton DK (white/1820) and Rico Design Essentials Cotton DK (banana/63).
Terms used (UK; US terms in brackets)
yoh: yarn over hook
ch-sp: chain space (ch3sp =chain 3 space, etc)
sl st: slip stitch: insert hook into stitch, yarn over hook and draw through stitch.
dc: double crochet (sc/ single crochet): insert hook into stitch, yarn over hook, draw through stitch, yarn over hook and draw through both loops on hook.
htr: half treble (US hdc/ half double crochet): yarn over hook, insert hook into stitch (or ring or space), yoh and draw through stitch; yoh and draw through all three loops on hook
tr: treble (US dc/ double crochet): yarn over hook, insert hook into stitch (or ring or space), yoh and draw through stitch; yoh and draw through two loops on hook, yoh and draw through remaining two loops
1. With yellow yarn, create an adjustable ring (or ch4 and join with sl st). Ch2 (counts as 1 htr) and work 9htr into ring, join with sl st and fasten off yarn. (10htr)
2. Join white yarn in any stitch, *dc, ch3, skip 1 st, *and repeat 4 times. Sl st to join final ch3 to first dc. (5dc, 5ch3-spaces).
3. *dc in next ch3-sp, ch3, 5tr in same ch3-sp, ch3, dc in same ch3-sp*, repeat 4 times and join to first dc with sl st. (5 petals, each dc, ch3, 5tr, ch3, dc)
4. Turn motif over and sl st across back of first two trebles (or simply carry yarn across). From now on, you will work at the back of the initial set of petals, and the second set should be spaced alternately with the first and behind them.
5-8. *1dc in the back of the 3rd treble of the petal, ch 4* and repeat between ** around the flower, then sl st into initial dc (5 ch4-sp, 5dc).
9. Work the second set five petals, behind the first set and one in each of the 5 ch-4 spaces that you have created: *dc, ch3, 5tr,ch3,dc*, repeat 4 times and then sl st to the first dc.
Fasten off yarn and weave in ends.
***Please feel free to sell finished objects from this pattern, for business or charity, but do not sell the pattern itself. I would appreciate, but do not require, credit for the pattern***